January 24, 2005

A Very Long Disengagement

It has been more than two weeks since I last blogged. And there has been a substantial blacklog of entries that I should have been working on, not that there's any pressure or anything (hehehe... who are we kidding?), but new ideas need fertile grounds to grow, hence the need to write.

Connecting People
I would like to thank all the people who went to the 1st Pinoyblog EB. It was a blast. The demographics of the party was certainly varied cutting through all social circles. I'm amazed that people from all walks of life and from different professions enjoy writing and blogging. I realized that there is no particular group of people who can claim they monopolize the writing arena. No literati or stuck-up wierdo author there. There were yuppies and professionals, singles and couples, young and not-so-old who came to enjoy the night. First at Cabalen, and then at Starbucks. Considering that there was no common denominator except for blogging, I am happy that we still get to know each other and to discover new things, new professions and new people. You guys are really great. I don't want to mention names cuz for one, I am terrible in memorizing names and secondly, I don't want to miss anyone out. It was my first EB in my entire existence and I enjoyed it. I believe a repeat is needed.

Intern from Hell
This January, we had an intern whose reputation is far from great. Being an intern, one is expected to have certain attitude and values in order to keep the whole co-internship machinery going and if one becomes the pasaway, then it creates a bad impression for you and for your future interns. Ever since she started with us, everything has gone awry.

One, she absents herself from going to "duty" (that 29-hour duty) for the flimsiest reasons. First, she contracted German measles (a 3-day fever became a 1-week vacation), then fever (dahil sa measles pa daw) and low back pain (due to assisting in surgical retraction.) The result is other interns who just came from duty yesterday will be pulled out for duty today, which does piss anyone.

Second, patients complain that her skills in wound car (which consist of only pouring sterile water into the wound and leaving it be) are far from the norm which consists of taking away dead tissue, putting in betadine and gauze.

Third, instead of helping out others who are "toxic" or lightening up the workload by volunteering, she avoids it and goes into a lengthy discussion ala Rene Saguisag pointing out that it's not her job description, it's not her obligation, so on and so forth. This really gets my goat. She won't help in the patients' rounds because she's an ENT intern (which still falls inside the jurisdiction of Surgery) contrary to what everyone has been doing so as to lighten the load. I returned her the favor too when we switched places. Instead of assisting in a surgical operation because of a lack of manpower, she begs off telling us that she's duty and duties are last in line to assist in the OR ...so on and so forth.

Last, because she rubs in our faces that she's the "apo" of the hospital director, she usually gets scotfree with many things including going home earlier than the designated cut-off time or making a fuss about doing medical abstracts. But thing she does best is sleeping (10pm) on the ward beds while her resident is still doing patients' rounds, answering calls and checking up on toxic patients. For most of us, the opposite is true: interns let their residents sleep by answering calls and toxic patients until the next morning. Now, everone knows her by her nickname, "Lady Lard."

A Social Amputation
Rationally speaking, losing one's cellphone is not a bigdeal. It's just a replaceable thing. Simply get another one. Considering the cost, I have no budget yet. Considering the numbers lost, priceless. Considering the sentimental value, who cares, I don't give a horse's ass. It's the functionality of the phone I'm concerned about. How can I contact my family? My friends? How can I be contacted for important stuff like reports, meetings, outings? With people becoming more and more dependent on using the cellphone, losing it (because someone stole it from my coatpocket inside the hospital ward) becomes more heart-breaking. AAAAARRRGHH!! Have to get one... have to get one... have to get one.... *thud* *thud* *thud* (sound of my head banging the table)

Movies to Watch
1. A Very Long Engagement - starring Audrey Tatou. Another masterpiece from Jean-Pierre Jeunet in the tradition of Amelie. Looking forward to its color-saturated cinematography. Out on theaters Feb.2.

2. Phantom of the Opera - Just like Evita, this Andrew Lloyd Weber favorite is going to be this year's "Chicago". God bless its director. I heard there's a bed scene between Christine and the Phantom... just kidding! Out on theaters by Feb 9.

No comments: